St Joseph’s Catholic School is centrally located on Ross River Road in the heart of Mundingburra, Townsville. The parish church and offices, Outside School Hours Care service and the St Mary MacKillop Early Learning Centre are situated nearby.
St Joseph’s Catholic School was established by The Sisters of St Joseph on their return to Townsville in 1924. The school was originally located in Norris Street, Hermit Park but moved to its present site on Ross River Road, Mundingburra in 1936.
From 1952 St Joseph’s School was a co-educational school from Years 1 to 4 and girls only from Years 5 to 7 with the boys in these upper grades attending St John Fisher's School operated by the Christian Brothers.
The school enrolment in 1956 was 214, with four Sisters teaching full time in school and one Sister teaching music. In 1963 the first lay teacher was appointed to the staff. 1967 saw an enrolment of nearly 400, with five religious and four lay teachers on staff.
By 1990, St Joseph’s had become a fully co-educational primary school with an enrolment of approximately 340 students. The principal was the only religious on staff. An additional wing was opened at the School in 1989.
1991 marked the end of an era when the Sisters of St Joseph withdrew from their education apostolate at Mundingburra.
Preschool facilities were introduced in 1993. Thus St Joseph’s School was able to provide continuity of education from Preschool to Year 7. In 2008 the Federal Government BER grant allowed for a new Library, classrooms and additions to the covered area, tuckshop and sports store.
The school now has two Prep classrooms and an enrolment of 390 students.
St Joseph’s has continued to maintain an excellent reputation within the community as a school whose students achieve high academic results but, more importantly, a school which operates in the Catholic ethos by maintaining Gospel values.